November 30, 2022

La Ronge Northerner

Complete Canadian News World

An octogenarian from Lewis dies of smoke inhalation in his home

An inmate died Wednesday from smoke inhalation in a fire at his home in Lewes.

The fire broke out at 4:40 p.m. inside a two-story single-family residence located at 5209 Rue St. Georges in Levis.

Immediately, very thick smoke engulfed the house.

The alert was initiated by an elderly person, probably the victim’s wife, who went to a neighbor to ask for help.

According to the information then, the trapped poor man was in the basement. Fire is also declared at this place.

Firefighters believe the fire may have been caused by a wood-burning stove.

Photo QMI Agency, René Leclerc

Firefighters believe the fire may have been caused by a wood-burning stove.

Firefighters believe the fire may have spread from a wood-burning stove.

The octogenarian was rescued unconscious from the wreckage. A quick application of the canvas blanket left no doubt as to his condition.

A quick application of the canvas blanket leaves no doubt as to the health of the elder.  He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Photo QMI Agency, René Leclerc

Police confirmed the death of the elder, the owner of the house.

“An old man passed out from the area. Maneuvers were tried, but his death was confirmed,” said SPVL spokesman Jean-Sebastien Levan.

“A Very Classy Boy”

A quick application of the canvas blanket leaves no doubt as to the health of the elder.  He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Photo QMI Agency, René Leclerc

The man lived in the same place for decades.

“He was a very nice guy. A good man who lived there all his life. Always ready to help. I think he was 87 years old. He shoveled this morning. [mercredi] He was very good. We are hanging by a thread,” explained a shaken neighbor who did not want to be identified.

His wife also went to his address to seek help, but he is yet to return.

See also  Storms, floods and local floods

“Maybe it was already too late. Fortunately, she was right, but he was still there. Nobody deserves this. He was still very active, and he took out his snowblower to help us,” said the same neighbor.

In shock, the victim’s wife does not need to be taken to the hospital.

significant damage

Firefighters took about an hour to bring the fire under control at a family home on rue Saint-Georges in Lévis.

Photo QMI Agency, René Leclerc

Firefighters took about an hour to bring the fire under control at a family home on rue Saint-Georges in Lévis.

Firefighters battled for about an hour to bring the fire under control. Firefighters remained at the scene until 8pm when investigators did not complete their work.

The place was under surveillance throughout the night. The damage to the residence, built in 1950, is particularly significant.

In July 2021, two people died in a fire in an apartment on rue Saint-Thérèse in Lévis.

Both died of smoke and gas poisoning.

Do you have any information to share with us about this story?

Got a scoop that our readers might be interested in?

Write to us or call us directly 1 800-63SCOOP.