September 26, 2022

La Ronge Northerner

Complete Canadian News World

Mamadou Konate Threatened With Expulsion “Government Should Consider My Life”

A rejected asylum seeker and a man threatened with deportation on Sept. 30 is asking Quebec and Canadian authorities to “take care of his life.” Because if he has to return to his home country of Cote d’Ivoire, his life could be seriously threatened.

Posted at 9:01 am.

Henri Ouellet-Vezina

Henri Ouellet-Vezina
Pres

“Anything can happen to me. I don’t know what awaits me there, but I know it won’t be good for me. Doesn’t smell good. I am definitely afraid for my life,” says Mamto Konade in an interview Pres.

Originally from Cote d’Ivoire, Mr. Konade moved to Quebec in 2016 to escape the civil war. During the pandemic, she worked as a housekeeper in the red zone at three CHSLDs in which she contracted COVID-19. In September 2020, the 41-year-old man voluntarily surrendered to the Canada Border Services Agency to regularize his status. His asylum claim was then rejected and he was arrested on the spot.

The reason is that in the early 2000s, when Ivory Coast was on the brink of civil war, Mr.

“Too Stressful”

The federal government’s decision came crashing down in early September: the former “guardian angel,” now a maintenance worker at Concordia University, must leave the country in two weeks. , September 30. “However, to get my place in Quebec, I did everything we have to do in society. I work and contribute like everyone else. I made friends, a network. And I didn’t commit any crime,” slipped Mr. Konade, authorities said in their Requests a reconsideration of the decision.

“It’s really affecting my mental health. It’s very stressful. It makes me very tired. I’m even starting to feel sick. The government should consider my life,” says Mamadou Konade.

See also  Michael-Chartrant Park | Longway white-tailed deer options are exhausted

Today, the main interest party openly shows its support for Guillaume Soro, the former prime minister of Côte d’Ivoire, who has been in political exile since announcing his intention to run for president in 2020. “The current regime in Cote d’Ivoire has little understanding with the people who support the opposition. So there are significant risks to Mamadou’s return. He will be subject to arrest, detention and torture,” said his lawyer, Mr.e Guillaume Cliche-Rivard.

A lawyer specializing in immigration, Mr. Conatin says he has “drawn a line” between his involvement with the file and Quebec solitaire, which he runs in Saint-Henri-Sainte-Anne this year. “I did all this in two ways. It’s a question of ethics for me,” he says, though he recalls that Unity employees have supported his client on several occasions in the past.

Three new requests

Me Cliche-Rivard, which took over the file a few weeks ago, says Mamadou Konate has submitted three new requests to the authorities on the file. “First, the request for a risk review of his dismissal. It has not been held for four years since 2018. However, the situation in Côte d’Ivoire has changed since then. Canada cannot send someone back to torture,” he argues.

“Based on all the community support for him, we have also made a fresh request for a temporary resident permit (PST) to grant him status,” the lawyer added. In exile for the past two years, it was announced in November 2021 that Mr. Connaught allowed a respite.

However, the third request was more “urgent”: a letter was sent to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) until “everything is assessed”. “Above all, we expect a quick response. But if not, we will go to the Federal Court to get another extension. I am also ready to go to the UN Human Rights Commission if necessary. We will go all the way,” Mr. Klich-Rivard says on the matter.

See also  48 hours of bad weather from Wednesday evening

In August 2020, Ottawa and Quebec announced the establishment of a program to allow asylum seekers who worked in care during the pandemic to stay in the province permanently. However, at the request of outgoing Prime Minister François Legault, the federal government has restricted the deregulation plan to eliminate eligible occupations such as maintenance workers or security guards.