April 16, 2024

La Ronge Northerner

Complete Canadian News World

A sixty-year-old man from Quebec was injured when his bicycle’s lithium battery exploded.

A sixty-year-old man from Quebec was injured when his bicycle’s lithium battery exploded.

A sixty-year-old man was injured when his electric bike’s lithium battery exploded in a residential building fire late Tuesday evening in Quebec’s Loretteville district.

The Quebec City Police Service (SPVQ) was alerted just after 11 p.m. to a fire in an apartment building on Lesart Street near Jani-Parent Boulevard.



Guy Martell, QMI Agency

The electric bike’s lithium battery was fully charged when it exploded, causing the victim’s house to catch fire and cause heavy damage.

According to an SPVQ spokesperson, a second alarm was triggered by the Quebec Fire Protection Service (SPCIQ), which evacuated residents as a precaution.



A sixty-year-old man from Quebec was injured when his bicycle's lithium battery exploded.

Guy Martell, QMI Agency

The victim, who was evacuated to hospital for non-life-threatening burns, was treated by the Red Cross.

The fire was quickly brought under control by firefighters and residents were able to return to their homes, but not for the sixty-year-old.

An investigator was dispatched to the scene to examine the scene and try to determine the exact circumstances surrounding the event.

See also  Four candidates to replace Dominic Anglade as leader of the PLQ