Fans of platformers like Banjo-Kazooie and Spyro the Dragon are in for a treat later this month, as Super Rare Games and Bynine Studios bring a charming new N64-inspired platformer to Switch on February 29, 2024.
Cavern of Dreams takes the classic lo-fi visuals of the N64 platformer to offer a fresh but familiar take on the genre in which you play as Flynn, a gentle dragon on a quest to save his unhatched companions (yes, this will look pretty familiar to Spyro fans).
Featuring four unique areas all connected to a central hub world, Cavern of Dreams is full of secrets and collectibles, with new powers to unlock as you make your way through the game.
Despite the somewhat familiar premise, we love the environments shown in the trailer, which are full of '90s charm from start to finish. Definitely one to keep an eye on.
– Collect them all: Every world is full of goodies for you to find. Including 40 eggs placed in perilous situations, mushrooms to feed your siblings once they hatch, collectible cards to fill out the encyclopedia, and more!
– Gain new abilities: Collecting eggs allows the Sage to give Fynn new body parts, giving him new abilities! Use your tail, wings, and more to reach areas you couldn't reach before and move at breakneck speed!
– A world to explore: Fynn embarks on a journey centered around exploration, puzzle-solving, and platforming. However, as he delves deeper into the mysteries of the Cave of Dreams, he must tread carefully, as unexpected dangers may lie in his path.
– Meet a group of strange characters: Each world is full of strange characters who need your help. You can chat with a tree, help a mermaid, or free a sentient soup dumpling!
– The nostalgic song: Completely immerse yourself in Cavern of Dreams with a mysterious and nostalgic soundtrack, with each world containing multiple versions of its theme depending on where you are.
What do you make of the Cave of Dreams? Will you pick it up? Let us know by commenting in the usual place.