Residents of the fire-damaged building were able to return home a few days later, but found themselves in unsanitary housing.
• Read more: Montreal: Fire at an apartment building in Hoselaga
A fire broke out in this building on Saint-Catherine Street East in Montreal on September 7th.
The Hochelaga-Maisonneuve district then temporarily took care of the residents while city inspectors could make sure the complex was still safe.
Residents believe they don’t exist, especially when it rains, as water seeps in.
The smell of smoke and mold is still strong enough for some residents of the building to wear masks.
Bed bugs are also present in homes.
Residents feel abandoned by the county.
“Following the fire, I got headache, sore throat,” said the resident. I often lose my voice because of bad breath.
“Personally I don’t find it safe,” says one tenant.
“The problem is that it is structurally unfit for habitation,” shares one woman. We saw holes and charred roofs so that water seeps through and falls three stories into the housing. We’re starting to see the walls become waterlogged and mold appear.
For its part, the city indicates that everything is harmonious and that all criteria are respected, even if it is not ideal.
Residents organized “open houses” of the complex on Friday to lament their situation.
Watch the full explanation in the video above
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”