In 1973 two tribesmen accused of murder were officially acquitted

In 1973 two tribesmen accused of murder were officially acquitted

In Manitoba, a judge formally acquitted two tribesmen of murdering a restaurant worker half a century ago.

Applause erupted in a Winnipeg court Tuesday when Judge Glenn Joyal announced the acquittal of Brian Anderson and Alan Woodhouse.

You are innocent and you deserve freedom. I am pleased to announce this judgment , inaugurated by Judge Joel. He admired the courage and bravery of both.

He was sentenced to life in prison for the 1973 murder of Ting Fong Chan. This restaurant employee was stabbed.

After their convictions, more than 50 years ago, the duo appealed against their convictions, but their appeals were rejected.

Brian Anderson and Alan Woodhouse appeared at the Winnipeg courthouse on Tuesday, creating excitement for the move to a larger courtroom.

Outside court, both said they still hadn’t absorbed the words spoken by Judge Glenn Joyal, but felt a great sense of relief.

I feel free and it’s time for people to trust me. Fifty years is a long timeAlan Woodhouse was launched.

He was only 17 when he was arrested. In total, he spent 23 years in prison.

On Tuesday, Crown prosecutor Michelle Jules said she would not present any evidence in court.

He said Manitoba prosecutors agree the convictions of Brian Anderson and Alan Woodhouse constituted a miscarriage of justice and the state cannot challenge their innocence.

He added that the Crown’s case at the time relied almost entirely on the statements the two men made to police. These statements were later proven to be false and untrue Fully prepared Mr. In Anderson’s case.

Brian Anderson had previously said he signed the confession without knowing what the document contained.

See also  Historic Forest Fire | "Significant social impacts" are expected

Systemic racism played a significant role in sentencing both men, Jules said.

Our justice system has failed, she told the court. “We owe them and their families an apology.

Federal Justice Minister David Lametty ordered a new trial for both men, citing no new evidence.

On June 22, David LaMetti noted that he reasonably believed there had been a miscarriage of justice.

Brian Anderson was granted parole in 1987, while Alan Woodhouse was granted parole in 1990.

With information from The Canadian Press and Sarah Betts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *